NAME: Marlon Gopo
COURSE: Grand Diploma
INTERNSHIP VENUE: Todd English Food Hall
Marlon Gopo finished his internship in Todd English Food Hall in SM Aura. Upon reading his journal, I was able to see the insights that he has gained during his training. It’s funny but the simple things that we usually take for granted are the ones that can be the most crucial when working in the kitchen.
Marlon realized that in order for him to be truly effective in the kitchen he had to do the following things:
- Practice his knife skills: he realized that majority of kitchen work is doing a lot of preparation of the ingredients to be used for the actual cooking.
- Be organized: he noted how important “Mise En Place” was at work because arranging needed ingredients and equipment will dictate your flow and pace during service.
- Be knowledgeable in Food Sanitation and Storage: he saw stocks and food were organized using the FIFO (First in First Out) System and how they were very aware of the expiration of everything that they used.
- Multi-task: peak hours had them handle huge orders that came in one after the other so he learned to have the presence of mind to be aware of all the things he was doing and to able to do them simultaneously.
- Be a Team player: he learned that communication is the best way to survive in the kitchen because it allows you to be in sync with all the other people so that all of you can have a successful service.
To end this he would like to express his gratitude to all his Chef instructors and Global Staff. Here’s a quote from his diary “I would like to say thank you so much to Global Academy especially to all the Chefs that guided and honed my skills, knowledge and attitude in the kitchen. Thank you so much to Chef Jun Manalo for being a very good mentor to me. Thank you also to Chefs Meg, Cho, Rushel, Kat and Rich and the whole staff of Timog Branch. I have all the respect in the world for them. Thank you to Chef Mike Yap from the bottom of my heart for making an excellent program for Global Academy. Lastly, I want to say thank you to Ms. Jainie for helping me out with my internship from start to finish.”
- Latest Internships:
- Rod Kevin R. Rivamonte – Chabozu, Tokyo, Japan
- Maverick Javier – Hyatt, City of Dreams Manila
- Kimberly Jane Solejon
- Kim Solejon – Grand Hyatt Atlanta
- Aldous Bonifacio
- Marlon Gopo
- Dominic B. Toribio
- Internship Diary – Christine Anne Marie Huebenthal
- Internship Diary – Rose Camille Cepeda
- Internship Diary: Kris Cyril Alcantara